The summer transfer window is here, and there’s plenty of gossip swirling about who’s moving where. Transfer Talk brings you all the latest buzz on rumours, comings and goings and, of course, done deals!
TOP STORY: Ronaldo won’t budge, eyes Man Utd exit
New manager Erik ten Hag is understood to have made an attempt to persuade him to reconsider his decision on Tuesday after presenting his project to the Portugal international, but it looks as though last season’s failure to qualify for the Champions League has forced Ronaldo to look at other clubs, despite having one year left on his contract.
While reports indicated that Manchester United rejected Ronaldo’s request to be released from his contract, the club have given his representatives permission to begin to explore potential clubs who would be interested in acquiring him.
Atletico Madrid, Chelsea, and Bayern Munich have all been linked to Ronaldo at some point. However, Atletico president Enrique Cerezo called such a move “practically impossible” while sources told ESPN earlier this month that Chelsea had ruled themselves out of the running for his signature. Bayern CEO Oliver Kahn also nixed his side as an option, saying signing Ronaldo would not “fit with our philosophy.”
– Barcelona may transfer Marc-Andre ter Stegen if they cannot facilitate a move away from the Camp Nou for Frenkie de Jong, according to Cadena Ser. With the 30-year-old goalkeeper reported to earn €7 million-per-season, and contracted to have a salary increase next season, the Blaugrana could now move Ter Stegen on as they look to control their wage structure. The Germany international made 35 appearances in LaLiga for Xavi Hernandez’s side in the 2021-22 campaign. De Jong has been linked with Manchester United but reportedly would only entertain a transfer to Chelsea.
– Manchester City are in search of a left-back and will consider Benfica‘s Alejandro Grimaldo, according to Marca. City are still prioritising Brighton & Hove Albion‘s Marc Cucurella as their top choice but the clubs are £20m apart in their valuation of the player. A Barcelona academy product like Cucurella, City will have to compete with Juventus and Newcastle United for Grimaldo’s signature.
– AFC Bournemouth are set to sign Middlesbrough winger Marcus Tavernier, writes The Athletic. An initial fee of £10m has been agreed between the two sides, though it is reported that there is an extra £2.5m in add-ons included as part of the deal. The 23-year-old was a key player for the Championship side last season, contributing to 10 goals in 44 appearances.
– Chelsea will allow Hakim Ziyech to leave for £8m, reports the Daily Mail. The 29-year-old attacking midfielder is keen to make the switch to AC Milan, but while the Serie A champions are expected to advance negotiations for him this week, the latest indicates that he will be required to take a salary reduction for his proposed move to the San Siro to materialise.
– Georginio Wijnaldum is one step away from joining AS Roma, according to Rudy Galetti. It is reported that Jose Mourinho’s side have made strong progress during negotiations with Paris Saint-Germain over a loan move that includes an option to become permanent. It is expected that both sides will continue discussions this week as they look to reach a middle ground over how much of the 31-year-old midfielder’s salary will be covered as part of the loan.